Thursday, March 24, 2011

Belated St. Patrick's Day

In my family, growing up St. Patrick's Day equaled Grandpa's birthday so I've never been all that into it especially since this year, he turned 90!  That milestone was a much bigger highlight of the month for me.  Unfortunately, I wasn't home in Hawaii to celebrate with him but I hope he knows just how much I love and respect him.  I hope he lives past 100.  But I know he'll only do it if my grandma stays healthy and sharp.  He always says that he has to die before she does.  He wouldn't know how to live without her.  Now that's love!  I always say that one day I aspire to be like my grandparents.  I can only hope to be so lucky.

Anyway, even though St. Patrick's Day has always been more about his birthday than shamrocks and green beer, I tried out a few recipes for kicks.  I'm always the mad scientist after all.

First up is some homemade Baileys Irish Cream.  I followed the recipe but it asked for A LOT of whiskey and reeked of liquor.  But it still made for a tasty Irish Cream Cake, which is basically a yellow bundt cake made with Irish cream covered in an Irish Cream glaze.  The glaze looks uneven because I brushed it on instead of pouring it so lesson learned for next time.  But it's my first bundt!


Second up are some Guinness stout chocolate cupcakes with an Irish Cream buttercream frosting.  Simple to make but the flavors are really defined.  I'm not a huge fan of beer flavored cake but if you are, this cake is for you.  Moist.




Last up are some oatmeal scones.  Not sure that they're very Irish but it felt of that part of the world so I made some anyway.  Plus, I have quick cooking oats that I'm trying to get rid of so it was a good way to experiment.  They turned out nice and crisp on the outside with a great texture overall.  The only problem is I was all set to make blueberry scones except...I forgot to add the blueberries.  I didn't remember until they were already in the oven for 15 minutes.  Whoops.  Oh well, they still tasted great!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy !
    I like your blog, good job :)
    If you like french fashion, maybe you should check out mine... And follow to be the first to know when I post something lol ;)




    xx




    www.coralieslooks.com - FRENCH FASHION BLOG

    ReplyDelete